Reach to Recovery Peer Support Program
In “Alma Zois” we know how important it is for a woman diagnosed with breast cancer to get in touch with another woman who shared the same experience years ago.
On account of this, Association’s mental health professionals educate appropriately breast cancer survivors who want to offer their time and expertise to support practically and emotionally other women with the same diagnosis, according to the standards of “Reach to Recovery”, the International Program for the Support of Women with Breast Cancer.
The objective of “Reach to recovery” program:
- emotional support
- practical assistance to women suffering from breast cancer
“Reach to Recovery” principle
A woman who has experienced breast cancer offers her time and expertise to help and support another woman who is facing the same challenge.
Programs basic principle
- Women who have undergone breast surgery find great help and relief the first difficult days after surgery, talking with an other women who had the same experience years ago and now enjoy a normal life.
- Face-to-face communication of the patient with a trained volunteer who shared the same experience years ago.
- Their common experience ensures real understanding and volunteer’s training makes their communication essential.
- Volunteer’s presence and attitude is an example of good recovery, quality of life and reactivation.
How can I get help through “Reach to Recover” program?
If you want to get in touch with a woman who had the same experience with you years ago, please call 210 41 800 06.
Association’s mental health professional will try to find the volunteer that best fits your profile.
What to expect from my meeting with the Association’s volunteer?
You can have a face to face meeting with an Association’s volunteer immediately and in a confidential environment, in your hospital room, at Association’s headquarters or even by telephone.
In case of a face to face meeting, the volunteer will provide you printed informative material.
“All Association’s members have experienced breast cancer. Although each case is different, we share the same feelings and understand more than anyone what you are experiencing now. We faced the same practical difficulties in the past. We are here for you “.
International Reach to Recovery program in Hospitals
Once a week, consistently, Association’s trained volunteers, breast cancer survivors, offer emotional support to other women with the same experience at the following Hospital’s Breast Cancer Clinics:
Iaso: Tuesday, 11:00-14:00
Elena Venizelos: Tuesday, 10:00-12:00
Metropolitan Hospital: Thursday, 11:00-13:00
Metaxa: Thursday, 10:30-12:30
Surgeons, Directors of Breast Units in clinics collaborating with the program are:
Iaso : Gregory Xepapadakos
Elena Venizelou : Annivas Tsikinis
Metropolitan Hospital: Vassilis Venizelos
Metaxas: Kyriakos Kalogerakos